The importance of milk and dairy products as part of a healthy balanced diet
Milk and dairy products contain many nutrients and provide a quick and easy way of supplying these nutrients to the diet within relatively few calories. Milk, cheese and yogurt all provide the following beneficial nutrients in varying quantities.
- Calcium - for healthy bones and teeth
- Phosphorous - for energy release
- Magnesium - for muscle function
- Protein - for growth and repair
- Vitamin B12 - for production of healthy cells
- Vitamin A - for good eyesight and immune function
- Zinc - for immune function
- Riboflavin - for healthy skin
- Folate - for production of healthy cells
- Vitamin C - for formation of healthy connective tissues.
- Iodine - for regulation of the body's rate of metabolism (how quickly the body burns energy and the rate of growth
Contribution of 1 glass of milk to daily nutrient requirements
|Nutrient||Amount present in a glass (200ml) semi skimmed milk||Contribution to recommended daily amount for females 11-18 years (%)||Contribution to recommended daily amount for males 11-18 years (%)|
|Vitamin A (μg)||39||6||7|
|Vitamin B6 (mg)||0.12||8||10|
|Vitamin B12 (μg)||1.9||127||127|
|Vitamin C (mg)||4||10||10|
|Vitamin D (μg)||Trace||-||-|
It is highly recommended to consume milk and dairy foods as part of a healthy balanced diet.